Floor Refinishing Can Give Your Hardwood Floors a Brand New LookPosted by July 27th, 2017
If you have hardwood flooring that has lost its shine or has scratches and imperfections, it may be time to consider floor refinishing. With true hardwood flooring, floor refinishing is possible multiple times during the life of your flooring. Each time, you can pick a different finish color to give your floors a completely new look.
While some people would say that floor refinishing could be a do-it-yourself project, if you want a professional-looking result, it is a good idea to get a professional to do the job. It is a fairly simple process, but requires some special tools that you may not have. It is also labor-intensive and requires repetitions of the same steps that you may not have the time or patience for.
Here are the basic steps we follow when we work on floor refinishing projects:
- Use a heavy pad on a floor buffer to remove the top layer of finish. Buff in the direction of the wood grain.
- Vacuum to remove the powder residue after buffing.
- Repeat buffing and vacuuming with a medium pad.
- Repeat buffing and vacuuming with a fine pad.
- Sometimes, for deep grooves or scratches, additional sanding or hand sanding may be needed.
- Thoroughly clean the surface to make sure that all the debris is removed.
- Apply polyurethane finish along the wood grain. Allow six hours for drying.
- Lighting sand to dull surface and vacuum.
- Apply a second coat, allow drying time, lightly sand and vacuum.
- Apply a final coat of polyurethane and allow 24 hours to dry.
When floor refinishing is done right, it can give you many more years to enjoy your beautiful hardwood flooring. Give us a call today if you want to know more!