Common Mistakes Made When Selecting Area RugsPosted by October 7th, 2018
Area rugs can have a huge impact on the appearance of a room in your home, but to get the result you are looking for, it is important to avoid the most common shopping mistakes. Here are a few to keep in mind as you head to your local area rug showroom.
1. Buying the wrong size. There are three different ways to size area rugs for room. Any one of these will give you a nice result. The biggest mistake is going too small, as that will make your room look smaller.
A) Keeping furniture legs all on the area rug
B) Just the front legs are on the rug
C) The area rug extends to a few inches from the wall
2. Blah rug, blah results. Don’t be afraid to investigate something colorful and even a bit eclectic, especially if the room is already predominantly neutral. Area rugs come in many different shapes and patterns, so you can avoid getting an area rug that just gets lost in the room.
3. Foregoing the pad. Even a large area rug can become an unsafe slip hazard without an appropriate pad. The only time you might get away with not using a pad is if it will be on top of carpeting.
4. Leaving out your carpeted rooms. As noted, you won’t need a pad if your area rugs are on carpeting and although you might not have thought about adding area rugs in this way, the benefit of adding color, patterns, and texture to the room is just as viable in carpeted rooms as it is in tiled or wood floored rooms.
5. Forgetting about your décor. Don’t make your area rugs nothing but an afterthought or they won’t look right with your décor or what you hope to accomplish overall.
Here at Wright’s Carpet, you’ll find a wide selection of area rugs that will make any room more welcoming and exciting. Our helpful staff will help you select the right one for your needs and you can also arrange an in-home consultation if you aren’t quite sure what to get in terms of size or style. We have been family owned and operated since 1984 and dedicated to helping you choose flooring for your home that is stylish, affordable, and better than you’ll find anywhere else.